When I think about our growth and development from the time we’re born to adulthood…
I think about all the things we learn…all lessons and nurturing we get from our parents…the time we spend in school, reading books, taking advice from our parents, coaches and friends.
We have so many people and mentors in our lives helping us to grow and develop skills to become smart and successful adults.
How amazing is that?
We Take Things For Granted
Many of us take this support and mentorship for granted when we’re kids until we hear from others who didn’t have much support, guidance, mentorship or even love growing up.
So just think about your journey from birth to where you are now.
Who helped you to grow, develop lifestyle habits, behaviors and success markers?
Are You Still Growing?
Did there ever come a time when you felt your growth as a person slowed down or even stopped?
Think about the growth or progress of your life right now…
- What new skills are you learning?
- What mentors do you have?
- Who is challenging you?
- What ways are you working to improve or enhance your life?
How Are You Raising Your Adult Self?
As we continue our journey into adulthood, it’s so important to evaluate whom we are spending time with, what we’re reading and how we’re investing in our continuous growth.
Our parents, teachers, coaches, friends and family influenced our growth up to adulthood but once we break free from college, sports, move away from family and begin a life of our own it’s fully up to us how we continue to develop as a person.
There’s just one big problem!
So many people are coasting through adulthood based on what they’ve learned up to a certain point.
- They are satisfied with who they are, how much they have learned and what they have created in their lives.
- They feel that as an adult they are exactly where they should be.
Now many would say, why is this a problem Anna?
Isn’t it great that people are satisfied with who they are, how much they’ve learned and what they have created in their lives.
Why do we have to aspire to feeling, doing or creating more in our lives?
First, let me be clear, we don’t all have to strive to become the next Oprah Winfrey, Brendon Burchard or Elon Musk.
I’m suggesting that we should all be continuously investing in our personal growth at some level.
- Whether it’s our health, our professional skill sets, our parenting, relationship development, self-worth, confidence or whatever it might be.
We Become a Product Of What We Do
If we flat out stop reading content that adds value to our lives, teaching us how to get better and live better, we have stopped growing.
If all we do is fill our mind with gossip about celebrities, drama HBO shows, or what’s latest on the news channel….
- We become a product of those products.
- We become what we read, watch and surround ourselves by.
We stop choosing the person we want to become and instead we allow society to mold our spirit, energy, mindset and potential.
It’s great to feel satisfied with who you are, what you’ve learned and created in your life up to this point, but if you stop there and don’t choose the next phase of growth in your adult life, it won’t serve you or the world.
I’ll give you 3 reasons why I feel that a HOLD on personal growth will hurt you and the world:
- This complacent mindset leads to boredom and mediocrity.
- This mindset robs the world of greatness because people stop living into their greatest potential and never unleash their fullest talents and ambitions to the world.
- This mindset robs a person of the fulfillment and joy they could acquire in life if they raised their ambition and expectations a little bit.
Let me use my Roots metaphor for these reasons in a story…
We Grow Like All Other Forms Of Nature
As human beings we’re just like other forms of nature.
- We start as a seed and we grow into a magnificent and beautiful creature.
- What we eat, drink, hear, learn and experience are what deepen our roots as humans and allows us to live into our greatest potential.
- We play our part in the world and then we die.
What if a Tree chose to stop growing?
If at a certain point in our lives, we decided that we were simply ‘fine’ with how far we had come in our lives.
We have the job we want, the family we want, the marriage we want, the health we want.
Some would argue that’s ok…but I say it’s not.
What if a tree could decide that it no longer needed to grow? It was satisfied with where it was.
You planted the seed of a tree and you watered the soil to help it grow.
You nurture that tree just like your parents nurtured you.
It gets to be about 4 feet tall and says, “I’m good”!
I feel tall enough; I have the roots I want, the leaves I want and the bark I want.
Does a tree decline the sun and soil for growth?
- It doesn’t matter that there is so much sunlight above that tree, offering it’s energy and life source…the tree doesn’t want it.
- It doesn’t matter that there is so much soil beneath the tree, offering it’s nutrients for the roots to grow deeper and stronger…the tree doesn’t want it.
Luckily a tree doesn’t work this way. It works with nature, not by choice.
The CHOICE to stop growing deprives
the world of our greatness.
If that tree could choose to say no thanks to growth and decline the sun and soil for it’s growth, what would happen?
I believe it’s the same thing that happens to human beings when they decline the resources and opportunities for growth in their own lives.
They slowly begin to lose their vibrancy and life, they deprive the world of their greatness and both suffer.
Without Deepening the Roots We Suffer
The tree that stops deepening its roots would start to suffer through the seasons.
- The leaves and bark that was once so fresh and new, would become weak and frail due to the lack of strength built beneath it.
- It would sit around all day doing the same thing, possibly feeling bored because it wasn’t challenged to grow or develop any longer.
- After bearing seasons of winter without growth, the tree might even begin to deteriorate sooner and live a shorter life.
- The environment would miss out on getting the full value and contribution that tree could have given to the earth.
- Instead of reaching it’s greatest potential, it chose to stop growing and couldn’t provide the home for insects, the flowers for bees, the nuts for squirrels.
That tree has no idea what kind of life it could have lived, how it could have felt to provide its service and contribution to the earth.
It doesn’t know what it feels like to live high above the earth because at one point, it felt it had done enough.
It’s Not A Competition
If we choose to stop learning, growing and deepening our roots as people, we too deprive ourselves and those around us our greatest contributions. We miss out on many experiences in life.
It’s not about becoming the tallest tree in the forest either.
- We don’t have to compare ourselves to others
- Aspire to our parents expectations or
- Feel pressured to reach a certain level of success.
It’s about becoming the strongest and greatest you.
- Soak up the sun and soil of life; don’t shut out the resources that are there to help you grow.
- Challenge yourself in ways that make you a stronger and better person.
- Aspire to have better health, more vibrant relationships and more passion in your work.
- Contribute your greatest self to the people in your life.
- Experience a life you never dreamed by growing beyond what seems good enough.
Are you ready to deepen your roots and allow your life to bloom?
Let me help you take the next steps in your journey!
STEP 1: Bust out a journal and set a few new ambitions for your life.
What more could you achieve or where could you be getting better in your health, relationships, family, career, love, friendships, confidence, etc?
Sometimes we just need to take a moment and think about the different areas of our lives and how we can go from good to great.
- Is your marriage good?…what would make it amazing?
- Are your friendships ok?…what would make them incredible?
- Is your fitness pretty good?…what would make you feel fully charged and energized everyday?
- Are you doing well at work?…what would make you jump out of bed to get there and crush it everyday?
STEP 2: Find a resource or tool to help you start taking action right away.
There are so many books, PODCASTS, audio books, courses, seminars, blogs and Youtube videos available to you on just about any topic.
Start absorbing just 30 minutes to an hour of content from these empowering and insightful resources to deepen your roots as a person.
STEP 3: Join me in my upcoming training “Sexy Confident Woman Formula” Secrets Revealed.
I will be teaching some of the most valuable lessons from my SCWF course to help you deepen your roots of confidence, love and energy in your life.
This starts March 26th, so Click Here to Register and Get Ready To Grow!