When I was a young trainer in LA, I dreamed about having my own fitness show like Jane Fonda. I was auditioning for shows like the Biggest Loser, STRONG, Fit or Flop, all while hoping to get my start in the spotlight.
When I attended High Performance Academy with Brendon Burchard in April of 2012, it was the first time I was taught to really look within myself and discover what truly mattered to me.
I started to look within my heart more and dig deeper into what really made me happy and feel fully alive!
Turns out, it wasn’t fame, it wasn’t money and it wasn’t being on TV.
- I truly wanted freedom! I didn’t want another job or role that someone was trying to fill, I wanted to create my own path.
- To change lives on a deeper level not just a surface level.
- I wanted to make real connections with people and inspire positive changes in their lives.
- I wanted to be remembered as a thought leader, someone that inspired women to reach for their greatest potential.
It was in this year of self-reflection and immense personal development that I began working towards my real dreams and it brought me an incredible amount of happiness, fulfillment and success.
Which is why I want to talk to you about Getting Your Hands Dirty “aka begin digging” into the core of what you truly want in life.
Too many people feel unhappy or unfulfilled in their lives yet they can’t really explain why. It’s not clear to some people why they don’t have more joy or satisfaction in their day-to-day experiences, they just don’t.
What does your ideal day look like?
Most people struggle with the question, “what does your ideal day look like”? It’s a simple question but we aren’t prepared to answer it unless we’ve taken the time to think about what we really want in our lives.
I call this Digging: Discovering more about ourselves; what we want, who we are, the type of relationships we desire and work we love doing.
Today I want to share:
- Why it’s important to get our hands dirty and dig a little.
- Why we have to be willing to find the core of who we are and what we want in life.
- Why we also have to be brave enough to see ourselves for more than we ever thought possible.
- When we decide to DIG, we are then able to dream. We can begin to create a life that brings us fulfillment and we can reach our greatest potential.
Are you ready to learn a vital practice that could change the course of your life?
Don’t Dream Without Digging First!
Anyone can sit and dream about a goal, aspiration or plan for their lives.
There are just a few problems with dreaming before digging first.
- How are we certain those dreams will be aligned with what we truly want?
My big dream to be on TV changed and it opened so many other doors for me to progress in the direction I was truly passionate about. Instead of taking more auditions for shows, I started building my social media platforms, website, writing content and creating my Sexy Confident Woman Formula Program.
Dreams will constantly evolve for us when we are focused on who we are and what we truly want out of life. That’s why it’s important to DIG deep within.
- Dreams remain dreams forever
Dreaming without digging can lead to dreams remaining dreams forever.
A person never pursues their dreams because
- They don’t truly believe they can achieve them
- They don’t know where to start.
Ever had a conversation with someone that told you a Big Dream of theirs and you asked, “how are you working towards that dream”, and that’s where the conversation ended.
I have a friend who dreams about taking her family to Paris on vacation someday. She believes she can do it, she takes action everyday working on her business to save the money. She dedicates time each day on her personal development to keep her mind focused and confident on her goals.
It’s all just a matter of diligence and time.
I have another friend who dreams about building an online business so he can retire from his full time corporate job. He thinks it could be possible, he isn’t currently doing anything to build the online business and he doesn’t spend time on personal development.
- If we don’t work on ourselves, our lives don’t improve.
- A dream without any action is just a stranded idea.
Let’s practice this habit of DIGGING here and now.
It doesn’t take much time but it takes some thought.
STEP 1: Take a minute and write down 1 thing you have done in the last 2 weeks to invest in personal development.
- Did you watch a Youtube video on creating more positivity in your life?
- Have you listened to a podcast like Trish Blackwell’s Confidence on the Go?
- Are you reading a book to help you develop better skills in your work?
- Do you journal about what you are grateful for?
If you haven’t been investing any time in personal development then pick 1 thing you could start doing to improve your daily confidence, mindset, skills or happiness.
STEP 2: Focus some attention on building confidence and self-belief.
- Write down the 3 Stories you tell yourself most often that bring you down versus lift you up.
These are negative thoughts or self-limiting beliefs that you say to yourself almost everyday but you would NEVER say them to a friend. You would actually be completely destroyed if a friend ever said them to you as well.
These thought patterns and limiting beliefs don’t serve you.
- They keep you under the cloud of fear and self-doubt.
- They hold you back from happiness, love, ambition and success.
- They also sabotage your efforts to grow every time you start making progress towards your goals.
Have you ever been feeling really good, your working out, eating well and then your boss gets down on you at a meeting. All the sudden you go under the cloud and start bashing yourself, telling yourself how stupid you are, how you don’t deserve that job, how your not pretty enough, and then you slam a box of ice cream and bottle of wine that night.
Your whole week is ruined because that experience brought up all those negative self-limiting beliefs you haven’t thrown out and replaced with BETTER ONES!
Negative thoughts don’t just up and disappear
That’s why we dig to find these negative thoughts and beliefs so we can
- Toss them out
- Fill our cup with thoughts and beliefs that lift us up.
So when the boss man comes down on you at work, you don’t let the rain cloud come and sit over you for a week or two. You let it come because it hurts and we will experience hurt and embarrassment. And then we have the strength and power to walk back into the sun faster than we ever have. This takes work and it’s worth it!
- Write down 3 stories you should be telling yourself that you haven’t been.
These are positive thoughts and self-empowering statements that truly reflect the best of you. Even if you don’t feel this way about yourself at the moment or have trouble even writing down something positive about yourself, you must dig deep here.
It can be so simple at first.
- I am a great friend and sister.
- I have a beautiful smile.
- I am smart and organized.
It’s also great to put down really powerful stories.
- I am a beautiful and strong woman.
- I am a leader and role model for my family.
- I am full of joy and positivity.
- I will kick that damn rain cloud of the sky whenever it shows it’s ugly face!
Can you do it?
- “Recognize and Replace” the negative with positive!
Take the next few days to be very aware of how often the negative stories come up. When they do come up, you will recognize them and replace them with positive and empowering stories instead!
It takes 300 repetitions to retrain our thought patterns.
If you have been looking in the mirror everyday and saying, “my ass is fat”. STOP! Replace that thought with “My ass is strong”!
If you’ve been saying, “I’m so stressed” every day at work! STOP! Replace it with “I can handle this because I’m a freaking rockstar”.
Whatever your thoughts or beliefs have been that bring you down or bring the rain…recognize it and replace it with a much better thought.
Never live a life of mediocrity
My hope is that you live a life of happiness and fulfillment. I want you to finish each day with a sense of joy and satisfaction.
Living a purposeful driven life is not just for some people, it’s for every person.
Taking these actions steps to Dig before you Dream will get you closer and closer to living your greatest life.
- Find 10 minutes a day to invest in your personal development (books, podcasts, blogs, etc)
- Write down your top limiting beliefs and start replacing them with empowering thoughts instead.
- Keep positive mantras in places you can see them daily and rehearse them often.
- Download my SMART Steps Planner to continue DIGGING and investing time in personal development.
“You were born with unlimited potential, it’s NOT about what you CAN do, it’s about what you are willing to do”. –Anna Renderer