Everyone needs ways to keep their workouts new and exciting. If you feel as though you’ve hit a plateau or have lost motivation to get up and move then try changing up your routine.
- Change your setting! If you’ve been walking on a treadmill everyday, go outside. If you’ve worked out at the same gym every time, attend another gym as a guest.
- Attend a class! Local gyms, YMCA’s, and Community Centers have many different physical activity classes. Whether it be kickboxing, step aerobics, mountain biking, or any other physical activity, you may find a new activity you enjoy!
- Remember, “workouts” are not limited to the confines of a gym or studio. Hiking, biking, roller blading, rock climbing, swimming, kayaking, and skiing are just a few activities that will give you a great workout and improve your physical fitness.
- Workout with a partner. A partner can provide you with motivation and support, helping you over those moguls in your fitness program.
- Consult with a professional. A degreed, nationally certified exercise professional can give you new exercises and activities that are safe, fun and effective.
- Add music to your exercise session. This can keep you energized and motivated. Try it!
- Sign up for a race or a “competition”. Having something to train for makes training exciting and it increases your motivation. Just think of Rocky!
- Continuously change your routine. Walking for the same amount of time every day or lifting the same repetitions with the same weight everyday could make anyone feel stale and unmotivated. Create your resistance training routine so that you are utilizing different exercises, amounts of weight, and repetitions. For your cardiovascular exercise, use different amounts of time, different intensities, hills or stairs, whatever it takes to make things new and exciting.
Try these simple strategies to make your workouts fun and exciting. Good luck and stay moving!
Health is Happiness,
“Discipline is a Game Changer”