Would you consider yourself a STRONG person?
What is your definition of STRONG?
When was a time in your life when you felt your STRONGEST and why?
Today I’ll share my definition of STRONG and the habits and behaviors that have helped me feel my STRONGEST ever.
No matter where we are in life, we’re usually looking to grow or progress in some area or some way that will help us achieve bigger goals and future aspirations.
Maybe you just graduated high school and your looking to go to college or get your first job.
Maybe you just graduated college and you are looking to start a new business venture.
Maybe you have worked with a company for 10 years and want that promotion.
Maybe you are about to retire and start traveling to see the world.
Bottom line, we are all continuously looking to take those next steps forward.
This is the common marker of living an extraordinary life because when we stop learning, growing and bettering ourselves, we begin to lose the quality of life, get bored, lose enthusiasm and enjoyment.
We don’t have to become the next Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey or Tony Robbins to say that we are living an extraordinary life.
It’s not about status, wealth, recognition or impact on the world. This kind of life is all about your day to day experiences, relationships, happiness, motivation, and whatever else you value most in this life.
I believe we are all entitled to an extraordinary life and we can have it… but it will be really difficult to achieve it without a strong foundation of strength, energy and personal power.
These habits and behaviors that build and solidify this foundation of self-care and empowerment is called A Sexy Confident Life.
I break it down into 3 major categories; STRONG, SIMPLE and SMART steps that allow us to live our greatest life.
Today I want to deep dive into the importance of the STRONG steps.
What does it mean to be STRONG?
These are habits and behaviors that help us to develop a strong body and fit mind. The daily practices that keep us physically strong, youthful, energized and living disease free.
These habits also affect our mental energy, stress and mood so that the body can continue to be the vessel that allows us to enjoy life and contribute our talents to the world.
Too often we measure our strength and fitness based solely on our physical appearance.
If we are a certain size or weight we say we are in better or worse shape. This is true to an extent. Yes carrying too much weight and becoming obese is a risk factor for your health. But being a normal or underweight smoker is also a risk factor for your health.
You don’t have to be a size 4 to live a sexy confident life, it’s about the habits and behaviors that become a part of your daily routine to help you build a solid foundation of strength.
So what are these STRONG steps that create the foundation of a Sexy Confident Life?
All the ways in which we take care of our physical body contribute to our physical strength, youthfulness, mental energy, stress, mood and living disease free.
Are there more important things to take care of in life other than our physical body?
I would say no.
If we don’t have our physical health and stamina in check we compromise our mental and emotional health as well.
1. Waking up tired and dehydrated feels miserable. That affects your relationship with the family, the motivation to get moving and start being productive for the day.
2. Eating a burger and fries for lunch will give you brain fog, deplete your energy as you go into a food coma and possibly diminish how quickly you finish projects over a month period.
3. Going weeks or months without exercise lowers the amount of feel good hormones that elevate our mood naturally. Feelings of sadness and stress can sometimes be avoided all together without the need for therapy or prescription drugs.
Taking care of our body is where it all begins.
It can be a positive or negative catalyst to how we live our daily lives.
I want you to try and not think about the STRONG steps as a method for weight loss. Instead I want you to think about these steps as a method to living your greatest life.
The primary effects of The STRONG steps include:
- gaining strength and youthfulness
- increased energy
- better sleep
- lower stress levels
- enhanced mood
- decreasing risk factors
The reason I ask you to stop measuring your health and fitness based solely on size or weight is because it’s only 1 element out of several that you begin to accomplish quickly when you put the STRONG Steps into practice.
So many people give up on exercise and eating healthy when the number on the scale doesn’t move.
They feel like failures and it’s frustrating. Well guess what? That scale is only reading one number and it’s not the whole story.
It’s like looking at someone’s picture and saying you understand who that person is. Would you get them from just that one exposure?
Get rid of the damn scale.
It’s a distraction, not a friend. It tells you one thing but not the whole story. It doesn’t have a happiness barometer, stress meter, energy level, or strength gauge to show what IS HAPPENING for you.
Just because the number on the scale isn’t moving doesn’t mean that your body isn’t becoming fitter and healthier than yesterday.
When you practice the STRONG steps of A Sexy Confident Life, you are getting better and your life is reaching that next level.
So let’s start with some STRONG Steps to take care of that body.
I want to start with the most basic because those are the most important to master.
- Hydration – Do you drink enough water?
- Try and get ½ your body weight in fluid ounces a day
- Always get at least 16 ounces in the morning
- Drink an additional 8 ounces per 30 minutes of exercise
- Drink an additional 8 ounces per cup of coffee or caffeinated drink
- Quality Nutrition – Do you eat vegetables?
- Eat a diet that is predominantly vegetable based (you don’t have to eliminate other food groups, just eat a high quantity of vegetables in comparison to other food groups.
- Add a scoop of greens to water whenever needed.
- Cardio Exercise – Do you exercise your heart?
- If you get breathless during activity, you are exercising your heart. Do this daily!
- Take the stairs versus the elevator, run them if walking them doesn’t get you winded.
- Strength Exercises – Do you lift your body or weights?
- It’s key to lift your body weight or weights at least 3 days a week or more to strengthen your muscles and build bone density.
- Flexibility/Stretching – Do you stretch your muscles?
- Stretch the major muscles of your body daily. Keeping your muscles flexibility improves your mobility and decreases risk of injury.
- Foam Roller/Massage – Do you massage your muscles?
- Release the tension in the major muscle groups of the body by foam rolling at least once a week. A foam roller is about $20 max.
- You can also get a massage which is even better.
- Sleep – Do you get at least 7 hours of sleep per night?
- Best hours to sleep are 10pm-6am
- Power down your devices and TV 30 minutes before bed to let your mind begin to calm down.
- Try to have your sleeping quarters fully dark.
- Write down which strong steps you have already mastered and which steps need some more attention.
- Make it a goal to improve just 1 step right now and then you can continue adding more steps as you master new ones.
I know you can do this!
It’s my absolute pleasure and honor to connect with you every week to build that deeper foundation of self-love, self-care and empowerment one step at a time, helping you become unstoppable in life.